How to Register and File Income Tax Returns on Incometaxindiaefiling. In the previous article, we have given How to Check Income Tax Refund Status Online and Income Tax Deductions Under Section 80C to 80U. Today we are providing the complete details of steps to register on income tax website and file returns. The www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in website is the Income Tax department online web portal that allows a taxpayer to prepare and file income tax returns for every financial year. The following steps will help you login/register on the Income Tax department website:
- Go to IncomeTaxIndiaEfiling official website and click on the link ” Register Yourself “
- To register to the IncomeTaxIndiaEfiling website, start by selecting your User Type in Step 1. Individual/HUF is the user of a tax payer.
- Next, enter your personal details like PAN, Name and Date of Birth. The PAN will be used as your User ID to the income tax department website.
- On the Registration Form screen, you’ll be asked to setup your password and security questions, in case you forget your password. It is essential to include lowercase and uppercase letters along with special characters.
- Enter your mobile number and email ID. Put in your personal email ID and phone number and not your company email ID, for example. Because these contact details will be used by the IT department for all further communications.
- Finally, enter your Present and Permanent Address details.
- The incometaxindiaefilling website will verify your PAN to their database and display your transaction ID and contact details on the last screen.
- You will need to activate your Income tax department account by clicking on the activation link in the email they send.
And your income tax india efiling account is setup and ready for you to view your tax credit statements and income tax returns.
View and download your Tax Credit Statement
The Tax Credit Statement or Form 26AS contains details of tax deducted on behalf of you by deductors. It also contains details of tax collected on behalf of the taxpayer by collectors as well as tax refund.
You can view your tax credit statement to know the TDS deducted and submitted on your behalf by different deductors and collectors.
Recover your Income Tax Department Password
To be able to login and efile your income tax returns you need your IT department password. If you’ve lost your password, you can reset your password. You need to be able to login your income tax website account to view tax credit statements and more.
What is efiling?
Efiling or electronic filing is submitting your income tax returns online. There are two ways to file your income tax returns. The traditional way is the offline way where you go the Income Tax Department’s office to physically file your returns. The other way is when you efile through the internet. Over the past few years, efiling has become popular because it is easier, doesn’t require prints of documents and can be done for free.
Am I required to file Income Tax Returns?
It is mandatory to file income tax returns in India, if any of the below conditions are applicable to you, as per the Income Tax Act.
- Earn gross annual income more than Rs. 2.5 lakhs
- Earn income other than salary like house property, etc.
- Want to claim income tax refund from the department
- Earn from or have invested in foreign assets
- Wish to apply for visa or loan applications
- Company or a firm, irrespective of profit or loss
Checklist for e-Filing IT Returns
There are a few prerequisites to filing your tax returns smoothly and effectively. Major points have been highlighted below.
How to choose the right form to file your taxes electronically
It can be confusing deciding which form to submit when filing your tax returns online. The different categories of Income Tax Return (ITR) forms and who they are meant for are tabulated below.
|ITR 1 (SAHAJ)||Individuals with income from salary and interest|
|ITR 2||Individuals and Hindu Undivided Families (HUF) not having income from business or profession|
|ITR 3||Individuals/HUFs being partners in firms and not carrying out business or profession under any proprietorship|
|ITR 4||Individuals and HUFs having income from a proprietary business or profession|
|ITR 4S (SUGAM)||Individuals/HUF having income from presumptive business|
|ITR 5||Firms, AOPs,BOIs and LLP|
|ITR 6||Companies other than companies claiming exemption under section 11|
|ITR 7||Persons including companies required to furnish return under section 139(4A) or section 139(4B) or section 139(4C) or section 139(4D)|
Steps to follow to file Income Tax Returns:
Filing your income tax returns online doesn’t have to be a complicated process. Simply follow the below steps.
First, log on to IncomeTaxIndiaeFiling.gov.in And register on the website.
- Your Permanent Account Number (PAN) is your user ID.
- View your tax credit statement or Form 26AS. The TDS as per your Form 16 must tally with the figures in Form 26AS.
- Click on the income tax return forms and choose the financial year.
- Download the ITR form applicable to you. If you’re exempt income exceeds Rs.5,000, the appropriate form will be ITR-2 (If the applicable form is ITR-1 or ITR 4S, you can complete the process on the portal itself, by using the ‘Quick e-file ITR’ link – this has been explained below).
- Open excel utility (the downloaded return preparation software) and fill out the form by entering all details using your Form 16.
- Check the tax payable amount by clicking the ‘calculate tax’ tab.
- Pay tax (if applicable) and fill in the challan details.
- Confirm all the data provided in the worksheet by clicking the ‘validate’ tab.
- Generate an XML file and save it on your desktop.
- Go to ‘upload return’ on the portal’s panel and upload the saved XML file.
- A pop-up will be displayed asking you to digitally sign the file. In case you have obtained a digital signature, select’˜Yes’. If you have not got digital signature, choose ‘No’.
- The acknowledgment form, ITR Verification (ITR-V) will be generated which can be downloaded by you.
- Take a printout of the form ITR-V and sign it in blue ink
- Send the form by ordinary or speed post to the Income-Tax Department-CPC , Post Bag No. 1 , Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore, 560 100, Karnataka within 120 days of filing your returns online.
I want to check the status of my ITR-V
After successfully submitting your income tax return, you get an acknowledgment from the IT department called the ITR-V or Income Tax Return-Verification. You need to submit it back to complete your e-filing.
Suggested Articles :
- How to Check Your Income Tax Refund Status Online | Process
- What are the (Know Your Customer) KYC Documents?
- TDS Rates For FY 2016-2017 and AY 2017-2018 | TDS Rate Chart
- Form 26AS : How to View and Download Your Tax Credit Statement
- How to Check EPF Claim status (or) PF Withdrawal Status online?
- Udyog Aadhar | MSME Online Registration Procedure
- Latest EPF Withdrawal Rules 2016 Which You Should Know
- Check the Difference Between PAN, TAN, DSC, DIN and TIN.
- Trademark Registration Process in India | Trademark Search
- New EPF Withdrawal Forms 19, 10C, 31 Claim without Employer’s Sign
Hope this article will help you to check the details of How to Register and File Income Tax Returns on Incometaxindiaefiling. Share this article ” How to Register and File Income Tax Returns on Incometaxindiaefiling ” to your friends.