EDC (Card Swipe) Machine: How to Use, Order, Price, Charges in India. In the previous article, we have given What is MICR Code on Cheque and How to write a cheque in India? Today we are providing the complete details of EDC Machine (Debit or Credit Card Swiping Machine) I;e How to use, how to order, price and charges in India. What is an EDC Machine? An EDC machine (also known as a card swipe machine) is a payment terminal provided by the bank on which the merchant can swipe or dip cards to receive payments. An Electronic Data Capture (EDC) machine is used to facilitate debit/credit card payments. EDC machine captures the essential information linked to the card. The information so captured is transferred to the card issuer for authorisation purpose via the telephone line or wireless internet.
How to install an EDC machine
- To get an EDC machine installed, the merchant needs to make an application with a bank providing the relevant service. There are two basic criteria necessary for approval
- The applicant should have a valid commercial establishment.
- The business should be in existence for at least six months.
- Along with the application, the merchant would be required to submit certain documents, which include identity proofs, address proofs, business proofs, etc.
- There are some fees and charges applicable on an EDC machine, which include one-time charges on equipment and installation and fixed monthly charges.
How to Use EDC / Card Swipe Machine
- Since the card can be a debit card or a debit card, the machine is also known as a credit card swipe machine or a debit card swipe machine.
- Cards with embedded chips need to be dipped in the machine while cards without chips can be swiped
- Once a card is swiped/dipped, the EDC machine captures the essential information linked to the card. This includes the card name, card number, transaction amount, etc
- It also records the name of the outlet where the transaction is made and the date and time of the transaction
- The information so captured is transferred to the card issuer for authorisation purpose via the telephone line or wireless internet.
- Post-authorisation, the amount is transferred to the seller’s account
How to Order / Get / Issue EDC Machine
- You need to get set up with a Merchant Services account
- You can usually do this through your bank
- Go to your local bank and ask if they do Merchant Services. If they say they do then ask to set up an appointment or talk with them on the spot.
- Most banks will rent the machinery out to you because you’re looking at a couple 100 bucks to buy (renting might be cheaper).
- There will ALWAYS be a processing fee (which most people don’t know about) that Visa, Discover or any other major card carrier charges to use their network when clearing your credit card transactions.
- Also, there are 3rd party companies out there that offer merchant services processing and also equipment to buy.
- Either way, you go, bank or 3rd party you should find out what the costs involved if you buy or rent and what the processing fees would add up to (if you plan on doing this each month).
Charges For Pos Terminals Are As Under
1. Where the terminals will be used for both sales as well as Cash Payment Transactions then the bank will recover rental Applicable for such cases which are as under:
|i) For PSTN Terminal (Landline with outgoing STD facility) No Charges|
|ii) Monthly Rental for desktop GPRS/Portable GPRS Terminals|
|Desktop GPRS||Portable GPRS|
|Monthly Rental UPTO 48 Months||220/-+ Service Tax as applicable||400/- + Service Tax as applicable|
|From 49th Month||Actual SIM charges Only (presently Rs.45/- + Service Tax per Month)|
2. Further, where the transaction are below Rs.25,000/- Per Month, then monthly Commitment charges at following rates will be applicable
|Particulars||Monthly Volume||Commitment charges|
|Commitment Charges (Minimum Volume per Terminals per Month)||
3. One Time Installation & Association charge of Rs.500/- + Service Tax. (This includes the charges to be recovered by SBI).
4. NICTs Monthly Charge Rs.200/- (Per Month) + Service Tax for all types of machines In the case of the below mentioned situations the bank has the right to recover charges from the merchant as under and should be read together with points 7(a) to (i) of the agreement.
5. In the case of the below-mentioned situations the bank has the right to recover charges from the merchant as under and should be read together with points 7(a) to (i) of the agreement.
|i.||De-Installation Charges||If de-Installation is done
Adaptor Replacement Charges (First would be provided free of cost)
|iii.||Recovery of GPRS Rentals and Arrears thereafter||• If any NICT Associate defaults the monthly rentals for two consecutive months, the terminal would be de-installed without any further intimation|
|iv.||Physical Damage to the terminal due to mishandling (other than normal wear and tear)||• Rs.3000 + Service Tax or the Actual Charges whichever is higher to be debited to NICT Associate account as per actuals|
6. If the POS terminal is used for [email protected] only then following Monthly rental is payable.
|S. No.||Type of terminal||Monthly Rental to be Charged (In Rs.)|
|1||For PSTN||Rs.250/-+ Service Tax|
|2||For Desktop GPRS||Rs.350/- + Service Tax|
|3||For Portable GPRS||Rs.450/- + Service Tax|
7. Merchant Discount Rates For Sbi Pos Terminals
|TYPE OF CARD||TRANSACTION AMOUNT||MERCHANT DISCOUNT RATE (MDR)|
|STATE BANK DEBIT/ATM CARD||FOR ANY AMOUNT||0.65% + SERVICE TAX (i.e 0.74%)|
|OTHER BANK DEBIT/ATM CARD||UPTO Rs.2000/-||0.75% + SERVICE TAX (i.e 0.85%)|
|ABOVE RS.2000/-||1.00% + SERVICE TAX (i.e 1.14%)|
|ANY CREDIT CARD||FOR ANY AMOUNT||1.50% + SERVICE TAX (i.e 1.72%)|
|FOREIGN CARDS||FOR ANY AMOUNT||2.00%+ SERVICE TAX (i.e 2.30%)|
Settlement Mechanism :
State bank of India will pay to NICT the transaction amount on the next working day (T + 1 WD i.e Transaction day + 1 Working day).
NICT will credit Associates account with State Bank of India with the amount of transaction on the 3rd working day (i.e., T + 2 Wd). The associate will have to have a bank account with State Bank of India.
- EDC (Card Swipe) Machine : How to Use, Order, Price, Charges in India
- SBI Balance Enquiry : How to Check SBI Account balance in Different ways?
- How to Block SBI ATM Card through Online, SMS, Customer Care
Hope this article will help you to check the details of Swipe machine. Share this article ” How to Get Card Swiping Machine in India and Price & Charges ” to your friends.