Section 180 of Companies act 2013 Restrictions on Powers of a board. In the previous article, we have given Section 173 of Companies Act 2013 | Meetings of Board. Today we are providing Section 180 of Companies act 2013 Restrictions on Powers of a board.
Section Title: Restrictions on Powers of Board or Board Powers
(1) The Board of Directors of a company shall exercise the following powers only with the consent of the company by a special resolution, namely:–
(a) to sell, lease or otherwise dispose of the whole or substantially the whole of the undertaking of the company or where the company owns more than one undertaking, of the whole or substantially the whole of any of such undertakings.
Explanation.–For the purposes of this clause,–
(i) “undertaking” shall mean an undertaking in which the investment of the company exceeds twenty percent of its net worth as per the audited balance sheet of the preceding financial year or an undertaking which generates twenty percent. of the total income of the company during the previous financial year;
(ii) the expression “substantially the whole of the undertaking” in any financial year shall mean twenty percent or more of the value of the undertaking as per the audited balance sheet of the preceding financial year;
(b) to invest otherwise in trust securities the amount of compensation received by it as a result of any merger or amalgamation;
(c) to borrow money, where the money to be borrowed, together with the money already borrowed by the company will exceed the aggregate of its paid-up share capital and free reserves, apart from temporary loans obtained from the company’s bankers in the ordinary course of business:
Provided that the acceptance by a banking company, in the ordinary course of its business, of deposits of money from the public, repayable on demand or otherwise, and withdrawable by cheque, draft, order or otherwise, shall not be deemed to be a borrowing of monies by the banking company within the meaning of this clause.
Explanation.–For the purposes of this clause, the expression “temporary loans” means loans repayable on demand or within six months from the date of the loan such as short-term, cash credit arrangements, the discounting of bills and the issue of other short-term loans of a seasonal character, but does not include loans raised for the purpose of financial expenditure of a capital nature;
(d) to remit, or give time for the repayment of, any debt due from a director.
(2) Every special resolution passed by the company in general meeting in relation to the exercise of the powers referred to in clause (c) of sub-section (1) shall specify the total amount up to which monies may be borrowed by the Board of Directors.
(3) Nothing contained in clause (a) of sub-section (1) shall affect–
(a) the title of a buyer or other person who buys or takes on lease any property, investment or undertaking as is referred to in that clause, in good faith; or
(b) the sale or lease of any property of the company where the ordinary business of the company consists of, or comprises, such selling or leasing.
(4) Any special resolution passed by the company consenting to the transaction as is referred to in clause (a) of sub-section (1) may stipulate such conditions as may be specified in such resolution, including conditions regarding the use, disposal or investment of the sale proceeds which may result from the transactions:
Provided that this sub-section shall not be deemed to authorize the company to effect any reduction in its capital except in accordance with the provisions contained in this Act.
(5) No debt incurred by the company in excess of the limit imposed by clause (c) of sub-section (1) shall be valid or effectual unless the lender proves that he advanced the loan in good faith and without knowledge that the limit imposed by that clause had been exceeded.
- Section 180 of Companies act 2013 Restrictions on Powers of board
- Section 173 of Companies Act 2013 | Meetings of Board
- CARO 2016 Or Companies Auditor’s Report Order 2016 Format
- CA Final Law Important Questions and Topics For May 2017
Hope this article will help you to check the details of Section 180 of Companies act 2013 Restrictions on Powers of a board. Share this article ” Section 180 of Companies act 2013 Restrictions on Powers of a board ” to your friends who are studying CA, CMA, and CS courses.